Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Olivia Munn Talks ‘X-Men: Dark Phoenix’

Collider: Are you currently working on X-Men: Dark Phoenix?

Olivia Munn: I don’t know what I’m supposed to say. I’m supposed to be vague. That’s my answer. I’m horrible at that. It’s like a two parter, this movie. That’s more than I’ve said, in general. I don’t know why people have to be so secretive.

What’s it been like to work with Simon Kinberg, who’s been with the franchise as a producer, but is making his directorial debut with this film?

Munn: I love Simon Kinberg. He’s such a visionary. We’re all so close. Anytime that you’re working on a project where everyone hangs out and they’re close, it’s a breeding ground for great content and a great experience. I think Simon is gonna kill it. He’s gonna do such a fantastic job with it. When I came on, he pitched me to be Psylocke, and I didn’t know him until I worked on that movie, but you see how everyone is friends and they hang out. It’s really cool! I just filmed a role in Josh Duhamel’s movie (The Buddy Games), up in Canada. He wrote, directed and is starring in it, and it’s the first film he directed and wrote. He got a bunch of his guy friends to be in the movie, and it was one of the most fun experiences. I’ve never worked on something where it’s another actor’s passion project. It’s interesting ‘cause you see how, when the director is also the writer and it’s a passion project, everybody steps up. You always try to do your best, in general, but there was a different energy. Those guys – Nick Swardson, Dax Shepard, James Roday, Dan Bakkedahl and Kevin Dillon – had me laughing the entire time. I only filmed for five days, but it was so much fun and they were so funny. Nick Swardson is one of the funniest human beings. Working with Simon, as a director, has that similar thing. It makes it more fun because everyone just steps up, a little bit more.

If you were a part of your own secret ninja group of warriors that save the day, what would you want your power or ability to be and what would your own personal mech look like?

Munn: I know it’s crazy, but I would take on Psylocke’s powers, to be able to create anything with your mind. That’s why Psylocke was always one of my favorite X-Men characters. The fact that she could create anything with her mind, but she still chooses to fight, she wants the challenge. That and/or the ability to control time. If you could control time, you’re good. And if you have the power to create anything with your mind, you could keep creating different mechs.

5 comments:

Finn said...

Waiting...waiting... n.n

Rahsaan said...

Does Olivia know that Psylocke is a telepath? No shade. Every time I hear her talk about being fan, I get the impression she only has vague impressions of who Elizabeth is.

Unknown said...

I think she's done her homework. I've read interviews with her where she knew Psylocke stuff that I didn't know. It also seems like movie Psylocke is not a telepath.

Rahsaan said...

Unknown,
Thanks! That's good to hear. I realize that Movielocke is probably not telepathic, but when I've read past interviews with O speaking about Comiclocke, she has actually mistated the character's history. That could be editorial or reporter error, but I feel like I have seen it happen several times.

Justin Messina said...

You know, I feel that she often gets Psylocke's history wrong too, but then I saw this interview where I feel like she shows her knowledge a little more. Maybe she did some research before hand. She still refers to Psylocke as a villain but then kind of contradicts it later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsjqRZ00zmc